Making a faux mirror from scratch ...

Sunday ... ahhh, where has the weekend gone? My 'to do' list doesn't seem to have decreased in size, in fact when I last looked I had added 6 more things to the list!!! That's the joys of the summer term and end of term activities ... sighs as wipes hand across sweated brow (obviously in a 'jazz hands' way) ... 😇😉😳

My project for 'Love 2 Create Challenges' is only part one because I can't share with you the full completed project as it's part of a new launch of stamps by Nikky Hall of Polkadoodles on 29th June 2017 on Create & Craft TV. Here's a wee sneak peek of part of my project ...


Can you guess what it is? Let me see if I can give you a clue ... ummm.... errr... ohhhh, I know ... the wicked Queen in Snow White consulted with one on a regular basis ...!

I began by gathering together a selection of stampbord pieces and played around with them until I had the shaped frame I wanted.


 Next, I added my pan pastels trying to randomly mix the colours from flat colours to the metallic ones ...


Once I was happy with the colours, I then edged each tile with gold metallic pan pastel and glued each piece together. I prefer to glue my pieces without supports/frame as I can then manipulate as needed. I'm also not worried about the glue blobs as I can deal with them once everything is dry. I have used a strong adhesive as I do not want a give in my frame.


Once dry, cover the back of your frame with a good layer of glue. 2 reasons why: 1] any gaps in tiles will be filled with glue to help with rigidity and 2] to ensure that the tiles adhere firmly to the backing material.


I'm recycling a board from a board backed envelope. Place the board on to the back of the glued frame and weigh down with a book etc which gives the glue time to bond. Turn over ...


 Turn over once dry and roughly cut away excess cardboard.


I have sanded back each of the pieces to get rid of the excess glue and am loving the worn look. However after sanding, you can also begin adding more colour if you wish. Once cleaned off and primed with hairspray (!), I began stamping ... but can't share everything, only a lickle bit ...


Will share my full project with you all really, really soon, so please pop back to see what my mirror looked like in the end.

Lou
x x x

Products and links:



Comments

Jane Savage said…
Intriguing and very beautiful :) xxx