Something different with pan pastels ...

This week over on the Premium Crafts Brand Pan Pastels Challenge blog, the DT were asked to add or use fabric on their projects, which at first was an "eeeekkkkkk" moment for me but then loads of ideas came flooding in to my head. I have an old white shirt that was too good to become a duster and I knew one day would be perfect for a project ...... well this week was the week!

As I began getting all my "stuff" together it suddenly dawned on me that it would probably be advantageous to everyone, (especially crafters who were either unfamiliar with Premium Craft Brands or new to crafting, how I actually put the components of my project together), so with that in mind my DT make this week is not completed but a snap shot in to the "making process".

At this point I am going to apologise for my photography skills because although I do work in a light and bright area, it was hard to photograph each stage using the best light (real and artificial) .... and if I am honest, there is so much stuff on my table, that didn't help either!

Okay, this will be a long post, so please bare with me as I try and explain what I am doing at each stage ....


This is an off cut from the shirt I was talking about earlier and I just adore the ruffled edges and also the loops where the buttons used to live. I am using a tinted embossing ink only because I like to see where I have been when working on white but Versamark and Perfect Medium work brilliantly too.



I first began by brushing the pan pastel over the ruffles but didn't like the effect, so grabbed my "Dots with edges" 12"x12" stencil. First using the Emboss It ink pad, I covered the hole/dot areas and then went over the area with my pan pastels. As you can see I have a dotty background and the annoying corner will be covered later!


Next using Stazon Ink, I stamped my flower image on to the material. Stazon is fine on clear acrylic stamps as long as you clean them right away and NOT with a Stazon cleaner. I use a good quality baby wipe as find that some of the very cheap brands are ineffectual. You will however notice that the Stazon will stain your stamp BUT this will not stop it stamping again. I'm not worried about "perfect images" as all I really need are rough outlines.


Now the fun part .... painting the images. I am using the Maimari Glassy Gel with my chosen pan pastels. I have squeezed a small amount of the Glassy Gel on my glass mat and then carefully gathered some "dust" (not a technical term) from each of my chosen pan pastels. Now I use an ultra fine sewing needle for this process and run it carefully around the edges of the pan to generate more "dust". You can also use your soft tool and sweep across the pan to create "dust" which you tip (another non-technical term) on to the Glassy gel.


Mix together with either a paint brush or palette knife ... your preference. As you can see from the photograph below the colours look muted compared to the original colours of the pan pastels .... please do not be fooled in to thinking that they are not as vibrant, they definitely are!


I have started with the darkest colour on the inside of my flower and although using the lines, am not terribly fussy about painting between them.


Next I use the lighter colour and paint unpainted areas and also to blend the two colours together. As you can see from the photo, I didn't follow my own advice by saying use a "small amount" of the Glassy Gel ....


Now this piece of material was put on the radiator to dry which only took about 30 minutes. The material has not puckered one bit and is not stiff to use when dry.

So that's the first part of my project completed and I will post about the next stages in the week. I hope I haven't bored you too greatly but have inspired you to use your Pan Pastels in a new way. Please be kind on me as this is my first tutorial (well sort of tutorial) using Pan Pastels and promise to brush up on my photography skills if I do any more !!!! (lol).

Don't forget to visit all the Pan Pastel DT to see what projects they have created using fabric and I can't wait to see how you use fabric in your projects.

Lou
x x x

products used: Maimeri Glassy Gel, 12"x12" "dots with edges" stencil, Phthalo Blue and Turquoise Pan Pastel, soft blending tool, Studio 12 Shabby Chic Roses (from Polka Doodles) and old shirt.

Favourite places to buy these products are: Polka Doodles and Premium Art Brands

Comments

Tracy said…
I am loving your project so far Lou and seeing it coming to life... great idea!!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox
Craftyfield said…
I have lots of shirts waiting to be reincarnated into something beautiful (well crafty at least). Nothing wrong with your tutorial, so well done!
As for the photos, when I zoomed they were very good but on the post maybe a bit small? Otherwise I would stay away from the cutting mat because the grid lines do something funny to the screen image.
Lou Sims said…
Thanks for the comments and off to see if I can do somethig with the smaller photographs. As for my cutting mat, not sure what I can do there especially as I have lost my craft mat ... better tidy up and see if it's hidden (lol)
glitzzy said…
Really good for 1st time love dotty stencil well done
This looks amazing Lou and the photos are fine...thanks for taking the time to share this technique. I'll be hot footing it over here to see the end result :) x
Hi Lou I love panpastels and love what you have done just brilliant work Shaz in Oz.x
This is looking good Lou, cant wait to see the next installment
massofhair said…
Sorry late commenting! Fab tutorial, missed this challenge but it is good to know how you used the PP's to paint onto fabric.Painting onto fabric is one of my favourite things to do :-) xxx