"Ahoy Matey" pan pastel style ...

Oh my, time is rushing past me quicker than the speed of light at the moment. Christmas time in a school is a little bit busy and jammed packed with anything and everything ...! If I write another "to do" list, I'm going to drive myself insane.

Anyhow, on to my project for "Love to Create Challenges" and I decided to use up an old Tando frame I have kicking around. I wanted a seaside theme and found some papers I had printed off from Pink Petticoat which fitted my theme perfectly. I used the paper on the backing plate and sealed then with matt gel medium.


Next I began building up the card sides to create the depth for my frame. I cut some extra sides from chipboard as really wanted a deep(ish) frame. I used raw umber pan pastel on the inside to hide all the layers. Handy hint time ... Place a scrap of paper under the sides so that you do not catch your backing paper.


Once the sides were 'set', I covered then with a mixture of raw umber, yellow ochre and yellow green pan pastel. I set this with a fine mist of part water and part medium, (thank you Claire) remembering my handy hint from earlier. Next using the burlap stencil from Dutch Doobadoo and Maimeri iridescent paste, I created a textural background which still allowed the pan pastel layer to peek through. Once this was dry, I added a layer of white fine pearl pan pastel for added iridescence.


Before adding my embellishments, I covered the edges of my frame with hessian which sneakily hides all the card layers.


Finally, the decorating. I used a stamp set I have been wanting to use for ages but couldn't think on what! Images were stamped with Walnut Stain ink and coloured with raw umber pan pastel. The MDF embellishments were also coloured with raw umber pan pastel and sealed. Next it was layering all the elements up in order that my frame would still stand and not topple over from too much weight. I added some hessian strands as my final embellishment.

Right, it's Christmas shopping time as although I like to do things on line, it is also nice to see, feel and size up items "in the flesh". Dragging the lads with me which maybe a decision I later regret ...!

have a great Sunday everyone,

Lou
x x x

products and links:




Comments