Wrestling with MDF ....

I have had these MDF units for a while and whilst they are designed to hold TV remotes, I wanted to turn one of them in to a desk tidy, so thought they would make a great project for "Love to Create Challenges" ... however I forgot the golden rule .... MDF swells when wet ..... aaaahhhhhhhh!!!

When I was at Summer Crafting in July, I bought some wonderful House of Zandra papers (Vintage florals) and if I am truthful, put them away and forgot them. I found them when rummaging for some papers I wanted for one of my Tonic samples.


I began by mixing the copper metallic pan pastel with Maimeri matt gel and used with different stencils. Lazy crafting as when dry it is already coloured! Next I over stamped using PAB Roses stamp set.  I used two different complimentary papers on my project. So happy with my tweaked papers, I began decorating all the different MDF elements ...


Feeling somewhat pleased with myself that everything was going as per the plans in my head, I rushed towards assembly. Now I hit my hurdle ... the air turned blue as I practiced my different swearing techniques and no amount of persuading was going to make all the parts join together ... the MDF had swollen due to the gluing ....aaaahhhhh! Feeling a little desperate at this point, I walked away and made a big, strong mug of coffee and reluctantly sat back down. "Light bulb" moment from absolutely no where suddenly appeared and taking my craft knife, I gradually took slithers of MDF away from each of the tabs and blow me down, it worked!


My alterations worked and I glued everything together. Once dry, I mixed white pearlescent pan pastel with Maimeri matt gel and covered everything. It has given a very subtle pearly sheen to the project and sealed it at the same time. With some of the left over papers, I stamped some more of the same images, cut them out, coloured with white pearl and metallic copper pan pastel and decoupaged them on to my desk tidy whilst the matt gel mixture was still tacky.


Phew, what I thought would be a complete disaster has now turned out exactly as my head envisaged! I definitely needed a lie down after that stressful couple of hours of crafting .... Now to fill it with whatever I want ... ,

Lou
x x x

Products and links:


Challenges:
Mixed Media World - anything goes with autumn colours
Craft for the craic - anything but square or rectangle
Crafty Catz - autumn colours
Creative Corner - anything but a card
2 Crafty Chicks - anything goes
Altered Eclectics - anything goes but mixed media
Crafts Galore Encore - anything goes
Craft Time - anything but a card

Comments

Joanna said…
great idea, thanks for taking part in Craft for the Craic challenge
Jo said…
A brilliant project so glad it worked out for you and very brave using a craft knife on MDF, that would have been an A&E trip for me, not too good with craft knives, lol. Thank you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Anything Goes Challenge. We hope you can join us again next month. Jo x
Gorgeous Lou and a lovely way to use PanPaatels. Love the detail you added. I also have had the same problem when I tried to put a piece like,this together lol. Tracy x
Aunty Sue said…
Lou this is stunning and I think I would have done the same forgetting it swells. Glad you had your light blub moment this is brilliant
Aunty Sue said…
Lou this is stunning and I think I would have done the same forgetting it swells. Glad you had your light blub moment this is brilliant
Unknown said…
Ooooh very nice. This is lovely. The design, the colours, everything. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafting Musketeers :) xx
Claire said…
So glad you salvaged it as its a stunning project Lou
Claire xx
Cazzy said…
That is fabulous, I really need one for the remotes in my craft room! I know about stressful crafting, seems to happen to me a lot lol.

Just beautiful thank you for joining us at the WWODTC
Michelle DT
What a brilliant storage unit and it looks stunning as you've transformed it. That's a good tip about the MDF swelling - I've got some drawer units to alter, and I'll watch out for that now I know!
Alison x
Unknown said…
Lovely project!
Tracey said…
This is stunning Lou, I absolutely love it! (& now I've found your blog I'm a follower :o)
Hugs
Tracey
xx
Debbie Adams said…
Hi, I same over from Craft for the Craic site. I saw your beautiful piece and had to come by to check it out. I just love how you used different techniques. I've never used Pan Pastels, but you make this altered piece look so easy. :D I have a wooden piece I want to alter and just want to say thanks for the inspiration. Your creation is just Gorgeous!! :D
Deborah xxx
Theng Creation said…
What a great project <3 Thanks for joining us at Creative Corner Challenge.
Hugs from Therese, DT
Planetsusie said…
What a great creation - I love how you have made this and am so glad that it turned out just how you wanted it to!! Thank you so much for entering the Crafty Time (Anything but a card) Challenge this month, lots of luck to you.

Hugs Sue Pxxx DT
Ger said…
A gorgeous project, lovely job! Thankyou for joining us this month at Craft for the Craic
Suchi said…
Love the way you have altered the MDF...The vintage feel that it gives off is stunning! :)
Thank you for joining Craft for the craic.
Suchi DTxx
Vickie Y said…
Fabulous altered art project. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics September Challenge.
Unknown said…
This is a fabulous make! Love it! Thank you very much for sharing it with us at Mixed Media World! Ingrid X