Altered milk bottle

Well this week has been manic from start to finish and I am sooooooo tired. Sports days (x2), school plays, leavers trips, school disco and a work colleagues leaving do crammed in to 5 days .... and don't forget the obligatory teaching too! We have only got 3 days remaining until the end of term but they are also chocker block too. I think I will be having a long lie or a lazy day next Thursday.

In my end-of-term fog head mode, I forgot to post my Love to Create project for the "anything goes/mixed media" challenge and am trying to sneak it in now before the inspiration post tomorrow! Sssshhhhh, don't tell anyone ... pretty please ....! For my project I decided to alter a milk bottle to turn it in to a candle holder ready for Christmas ...


I began by covering the bottle with Maimeri gel medium mixed with white and blue acrylic paint. I just splodged it all on in a "devil may care" manner ...


Whilst still wet, I then used my finger and tapped the wet mixture to create a textural finish.


When dry, I covered everything with fine white pearlescent pan pastel to had a sparkle/pearly finish.


Next came the decoration for the neck of the bottle and I have used old chains, ribbons and stampbord. I began by adding a layer of lace which has wonderful dangling pieces. I covered this then with a broken chain I found in a charity shop and began adding my decorations.



I stamped images on to stampbord, scrapping away bits to add highlights with my scrapper tools. The images were then embossed first with clear detail embossing powder and then white embossing powder. I then added bells to the chain (again found in rummage boxes at a charity shop) and finally finished with extra lace and ribbon to hide all my gluing .



A quick sneaky view of the top of my bottle where the candle will go but I think it will be more ornamental rather than for burning.


Right I'm off to sit in the garden with a large coffee, laptop in tow and off to catch up with all the crafty going on in blogland. Day of nothing on the cards today me thinks.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone,

Lou
x x x

Products and links:



Challenges:
Crafting with friends - anything goes
Jingle Bells - old fashioned Christmas
2 Creative Chicks - anything goes
Altered Eclectics - anything goes
Crafts Glaore Encore - anything goes
Crafting Muskeeters - anything goes
Crafty Hazelnut - anything goes as long as it is Christmas
Rhedd's Creative spirit

Comments

Sandra Wright. said…
An amazing alteration...I've not seen a proper milk bottle in years,lol.
Loving the textures and the embellishing...and as for the theme,well I've been creating with the christmas theme too,lol...must be catching.
Thank you for joining in with our challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..x
SmilynStef said…
Love how you blended the blues ... and I always love a vintage santa ... thanks so much for joining our Old-Fashioned Christmas at Jingle Belles.
steffi said…
Wow! I've never seen an altered milk bottle before, but what a great idea for a candle holder! I love all the layers and dangles you've built up around the neck! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month ~ Steffi :o) xx
lauren bergold said…
such a handsome santa on your cute altered milk bottle! so pleased you could join our "old fashioned xmas" fun at JINGLE BELLES! <3
My Side of Oz said…
Love the cool blue palette of this wonderful Christmas candle holder! Awesome job! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! ~Nanette, DT~
EriEs said…
what a fab project - love blue color

Thank you for joining us at Crafting with Friends
Erika, DT
I was sure I'd commented on this project - clearly I dreamt it!!! Fantastic project and I love your colour choice x
Unknown said…
Wow, fabulous project. Thanks for entering Crafts Galore Encore Challenge ATG. Wendy (DT).xx
Diane said…
Wow! Great project!
Helen said…
Great project and so creative - thanks for joining us at Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra.

Helen x
Vickie Y said…
Beautiful altered bottle. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics July Challenge.